Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 5: YMCA Camp to E57 Ramp

Day 5 began in the mid 80s with a clear sky and humid air. I joined the group at 8am for breakfast at the YMCA. Thanks to Stephanie's great hospitality, the group moved into a shelter house prior to the storm. They had lots of rain but no tornado or hail. Stephanie's very young-looking mom joined us for a marvelous presentation on owls by the camp naturalist, Mike Havlik. Not only was the presentation full of new information, Mike actually shared an owl with us. We also were taught 3 different owl calls. A picture of Mike + owl is shared on the right. After completing the morning shuttle to the E57 ramp I went to find an alternate site for tonight's camp. The direct route is under water so I wandered the back roads until I arrived at the Ledges State Park. No one was there but I did get a phone number and called the office. My call was returned and I discussed the situation with the DNR person. Because of the continued threat of serious weather tonight, I asked if the group could stay in a covered picnic shelter for protection. He said that was against the rules but they could pay to stay in the campground which would require a car shift and added expenses. In frustration, I did let him know that the only problems we have had with the 130 mile reenactment trip has been with the lack of cooperation from the DNR. Oh well, we will see what the night and projected bad weather brings. I will meet the group at the E57 ramp today with the latest river and weather reports. Here is a picture of the five individuals making the complete 130 mile journey plus we asked our hosts Stephanie and Mike to join in the picture. On the front row stands myself, Aidrienne, Stephanie, and Mike. Back row: Al, John and Bill. Yes, we are still smiling at the beginning of the the 5th day. The group will have completed a total of 91 miles at the end of day 5. We are already planning next year's trip. I will meet the group at the E57 ramp this afternoon and plan on sharing the blog up to this point. Hopefully, they will help me create the entry for today's paddle. For those of you asking for more pictures, John and Adrienne have been clicking non-stop. We will add links to their images when they are available.

No comments: